Last update: Mon 4 Jul 2022 06:49

10th June Singles Report

The league took a rest as the Singles competitions got underway. Played at four different venues down to the winner, who then go through to the semi-finals played at a later date, last years Top Singles Winner Neil Lyon from The Three Pigeons battled his way though at Garsington Sports Club. Lyon had a bye in the first round and then beat Pete Shepherd from The George ‘B’ 2-0. He then was pitted against team mate Eddie Lacey in the semi and safely came through. In the final he came up against The Cricketer’s Phil Wilkins and in a closely fought tie Lyon came through to land him a place in the last four.

Last years runner up Kevin Baker from the Cricketer’s also battled his way through to the last four at The Plough. Baker had a bye in the first round and was drawn against Jason Weller from The George in the next round. A straight forward win saw Baker play team mate Pip Goulding in the semi, in which he just got the better of Goudling 2-1 with one of the legs going to three sticks. In the Final he played Steve Bayliss from the George and after winning the first leg on three sticks Baker won the next leg to put him through to the last four.

Leading doll scorer Kevin Giles also made through to the last four at The Cricketer’s. Giles beat Andy Beal from The Six Bells in the first round, setting a maximum six in the first leg and beating a set of 3 in the next leg. Giles was then drawn against team mate Steve Walton in the second round. Giles won the first leg with a set of 5 but Walton came back well to level in the second leg after a three stick shoot out. Walton then set four in the final leg but Giles was on fire and clanged off five dolls to win the leg and tie.
He then beat Keith Alder from Garsington Sports 2-0 in the semi.
Ian Bowler from The George ‘B’ done well to get to the final to play Kevin but nothing was stopping Giles in the form he was in, and he had a comfortable 2-0 win.

The surprise package came at The Quarry Gate where Dick Walsh from The Six Bells for the first time will play in the last four. Walsh was in superb form knocking of three sixes on his way. He had a bye in the first round then beat John Greenaway from The Red Lion in the next round. Willy Waite from The George was next on Walsh’s hit list before he beat Pete Dempsey from The Three Pigeons in the final.

In the Ted Houghton singles for sections four and below played at two different venues Glyn Millard from The Fairview fought his way to the final at The Jolly Postboys. Millard came up against Luke Maylon in the first round winning it 2-0. He then beat Keith Bull from Team Monarch before defeating Brian Lester from Littlemore Rugby Club in the final.
Lee Gillett will play Millard in the final as he came through at The Fairview.
His first opponent was Sue Hendron from Blacks Head Inn who he beat 2-0. Gillett then beat Robert Taylor from The Red Lion Brill 2-1. In the final game Gillett just got the better of Paul Fullick from Headington British legion to put him in the final for the first time.

    Back to reports page

    XHTML Transitional

    Website Hit Counters
    Web Counter